Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Wall

I am going to skip One Child as it only has a few words and they speak for themselves.  If you want to see the words, you can go here: http://midiboy.com/lyrics/reboot/onechild.htm  If you have any questions, let me know.

This song was the result of my Kickstarter campaign. As I was creating the different tiers of donation amounts, almost as a joke, I decided to make a $500 level.  I didn't actually expect anyone to do that.  The reward for that level included all from previous levels, as well as the opportunity to pick a cover song that I could do as well as be named as the executive producer of the album. 

Much to my surprise, and delight, someone did that level.  They also asked me if it were possible if they could play guitar on the song.  I figured, "Sure, why not, after all, you pretty much funded 75% of the project!"

Originally he had picked a Dream Theater song, which, to be honest scared me.  That's not easy stuff.  Fortunately, he called me and said he was also having trouble with that song and asked if it would be ok if we picked a different song.  I was like, "Oh man...really?  I guess...if you must."  No, not really.  I was relieved also.  He picked this song by Kansas.  After reading the lyrics and really seeing what they had to say, I knew this was the song we had to do, and it fit the theme of the album so well.  Here are the lyrics.

The Wall
Kansas

I'm woven in a fantasy, I can't believe the things I see
The path that I have chosen now has led me to a wall
And with each passing day I feel a little
more like something dear was lost
It rises now before me, a dark and silent barrier between,
All I am, and all that I would ever want be
It's just a travesty, towering, marking
off the boundaries my spirit would erase

To pass beyond is what I seek, I fear that I may be too weak
And those are few who've seen it through to glimpse the other side,
The promised land is waiting like a maiden that is soon to be a bride
The moment is a masterpiece, the weight of indecision's in the air
It's standing there, the symbol and the sum of all that's me
It's just a travesty, towering, blocking out the light and blinding me
I want to see

Gold and diamonds cast a spell, it's not for me I know it well
The riches that I seek are waiting on the other side
There's more that I can measure in the treasure of the love that I can find
And though it's always been with me, I must tear down the Wall and let it be
All I am, and all that I was ever meant to be, in harmony
Shining true and smiling back at all who wait to cross
There is no loss.

-=-=-=-

This song was written by Kerry Livgren while he was searching for God and it pretty much tells the story of salvation in word pictures.

The first verse describes his situation that he was in at the time.  He made a bunch of wrong choices, and one choice that he made left him so lost that he felt he had nowhere to turn to at all.  Nowhere to go. He literally felt backed up against a wall (Hence the title of the song).

The second verse describes the process we have all gone through at one time or another.  "Do I believe or do I not believe...that is the question."  He obviously wants to believe.  He wants to see, but he is still struggling with some choices and perhaps some indecision. (The moment is a masterpiece, the weight of indecision's in the air...)  There is also what seems to be a reference to Mathew 25:1 prior to that. (The promised land is waiting like a maiden that's soon to be a bride). 

Basically, this second verse is him wanting to make it to Heaven, but his view of Heaven is tarnished by sin and other things in his life at the time.

Then comes the beautiful third verse.  One might say it is his epiphany.  He finally realizes that all the money that he desires and all the possessions he may have mean nothing more than a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things. His true riches are waiting for him in Heaven. True riches come from the love of God. He also realizes that he has always had this Wall with him and that it is the thing that needs to be removed so he can truly let God into his life and experience true riches and true happiness and all that God meant him to be. Jesus is standing there, waiting for us to accept His love at no cost to ourselves. (There is no loss). 

To me, this is one of the most beautiful word picture songs I have ever heard and it was truly an amazing thing for me to record this song with both Tom (guitar) and Taylor (vocals). 

And this song concludes the series on RE:boot.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.  
That is all.
Gregg





No comments:

Post a Comment