Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I've got it all under control...

Next in my series of RE:boot Blogs, I will talk about the song Control.

This song ALMOST didn't make the album.  Right up until the day I finalized the project, I almost cut it.  I really like the lyrics a lot as they are based on one of my favorite Psalms (139). In fact, I have written several songs based on this particular Psalm.  It's a Psalm that gives me comfort when it seems nothing in going right for me, or that everything is against me. It's a Psalm that gives me assurance that I was created by God for a reason.

When I wrote the song, I was in a Regina Spektor mode.  The song originally didn't have the string pad and was just bass, drums and the staccato strings, but people thought it was too quirky. Personally, I like quirky, but it definitely didn't fit the style of the album  I'm sure Regina would have loved it, but yeah, she wasn't available to listen to it or sing it.  Anyway, I added a different drum sound to it, and then added the additional instruments to give it a little bit more of a Midiboy sound and less of a quirky Spektor sound.

Still, people have said that this song doesn't fit the album at all, and I can see where they are coming from in a way.  The rest of the album is darker, with more of an electronica / rock sound and then there is this song.  It's happy.  It's poppy (Probably the most poppy song I have ever released).  I almost decided to put it on the one:nine album, but the lyrics fit the theme of RE:boot so well, that I decided to keep it for that project.

I'm glad too, because several people have told me it is their favorite song on the album.


Control
(c)2012 - Midiboy Music

It seems this world is falling apart. 
It seems this world is breaking apart
Where can I go? What can I do but count on You to keep me
from falling part. (I count on You)
To keep me from breaking apart.
You are my Savior. You are my Lord. My God.

You have this world completely under control. 
You alone have it under control
No one else can compare to You.
No one else even comes close to You.

Fearfully and wonderfully made. I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
How precious are Your thoughts to me, oh God.
Search my life from the inside out. Search my heart from the inside out.
And if I'm in a wicked place, lead me out.

You have my life completely under control...

You know exactly where I am. You know everywhere I will go.
There is nowhere that I can go where You are not.
You know exactly what I say. You know exactly what I think.
There is nothing I can say You don't hear.

-=-=-=-

One of my favorite parts of this song is towards the end where it's got this acoustic guitar jam.  Most people don't believe me when I tell them that there is absolutely no guitar on this song. The electric guitar is part keyboard distortion and a sample and the acoustic guitar is a manipulated sample.

I wrote this song with a friend of mine in mind.  They were going through a tough time in their life and I had told them to read and reread Psalm 139 over and over again.  I wrote this song and emailed it to my friend for encouragement.

Another reason I didn't want to cut this song: A friend of mine benefited from the Psalm and the song. Even more the reason to keep it.

That's all.
Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment