Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sorrow - Today's Promise

Psalm 13:2-3 says:


How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,

It is so easy to let sorrow become a focus in your life.  So easy to let it overtake every breath you take so much so that you are almost paralyzed by it.  Nothing you do, or nothing you think will get you out of "that funk" that you are in.

It may sound cliche, and it may be easier to say than do, but you need to get your attention off of yourself and focused on the opportunities that God is presenting you on a day by day basis.  When you are focused on doing what He wants, you are ultimately focusing on God.

Focusing on these opportunities will not only encourage others, but yourself as well.  They can give you a new sense of meaning, or dare I say purpose for your own life.  Maybe there is someone that you know that needs help with something, whether it's a dinner you can provide, or some things you can help them with around their house, or even an ear to listen to them. Maybe there is something you can do to volunteer your time. A food mission, toys for tots, or any other various things that may be hosted by your city or your church. Maybe you can write a note of encouragement (or an email, since these are modern times), to someone that may be in a worse situation than you are.

Getting your focus off of you and onto others can help you see the door(s) that God may be opening for you, showing you in the process a lesson that God has been trying to teach you all along.

Don't get me wrong, we all get in these funks, and it's not wrong to feel sorrow over something, but we should not dwell on them.  God uses these to grow us, and in many cases to encourage others.

That is all.
Gregg




No comments:

Post a Comment