Friday, October 26, 2012

Leading A Double Life

Styx's "Kilroy Was Here" was one of the first cassette tapes that I ever smuggled into my house. Mom did not like any music with a rock beat while I was growing up. A friend of mine at the time said that I had to hear Mr. Roboto.  Being a keyboard player, I instantly fell in love with that song, as well as the rest of the album.  Of course, mom would not have appreciated me doing this had she known.  There was a song on that album that always stuck out to me called Double Life.  (I know...ironic, eh, since I was hiding this music while mom thought I was listening to the stuff she approved of instead...)

Of course, times have changed now, and I have come to learn that it's not the style of music that even matters.  Even mom came to realize that.  God can use anything, any style, or anybody to spread His message. Even a secular song.  Check these lyrics out.  Note that I changed a few lyrics just to make them more relevant.  The original song mentions the Berlin Wall, which of course no longer exists.  The words that I changed, I put in parenthesis after the original line.


Double Life
Written by James Young

In the dark so all alone
Slowly reach for the telephone
A message waits just for you
A secret place, another rendezvous

It's not always honesty
That is the best policy  (That is your best policy)
But little lies can give you away
Though you'll deny it if they say maybe you're just

Leading a double life
Friends in the daytime, strangers at night
Leading a double life
Can it be wrong when you know that it's right?

The other side of the Berlin Wall is  (The other side of the farthest wall)
Not far enough to avoid the call
Somebody knows, somebody's seen
Somebody knows right where you've been
And that you're just

Leading a double life...

Nowhere to hide, though we both might try
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I
Double life, a double life, a masquerade
You know we all live a masquerade
I know you're out there!

Leading a double life...

-=-=-=-

Spiritually, this song speaks a lot of truth.  Many times we find ourselves living / saying one thing on Sunday, or around a certain group of people, and living an entirely different life at work, or around a different group of people.  The bridge speaks wonders, I think.  Nowhere to hide, though we both might try...I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.... 

So I put this song on the album as challenge.  Live only one life.  Be on one side or the other.  Hot or cold.  

That's all.
Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment