Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What To Blog What To Blog

So, I was trying to decide what to blog about today.  I was going to blog about adoption and the spiritual significance of it, but it's been done before.  Maybe another time.

So, I decided to blog about the lyrics on RE:boot.  Not as an advertisement to sell the album, but just about what each song means to me.  Each day I'll pick one or two songs and share what they mean to me.  If you own the album or not, I'd love your thoughts as well.

The first song is Rockstar, which in reality is just a fun song that refers back a couple of albums to Synthpops, but, believe it or not, it does have a slight significance.


Rockstar
(c)2012 - Midiboy Music 

It's been a long time since I sat down to write a song
Some people were wondering what was going on, what was wrong
Life's just been busy, I guess I haven't had the time
Didn't have a moment to even find words that rhyme

Now I'm sitting here wondering what kind of song I could write
Will it be another pop song or maybe with a little more bite
I've written slow songs with just piano and strings
I've even tried my hand at doing the industrial thing

But I don't have a guitar
Can I really get that far?
Can I be a rock star?
Or should I just do this
And try to be a pop star? 

Now I've written all kinds of songs in my life
I even wrote a song for my wedding just for my wife
Midiboy's first CD was sold on Mp3.com
Not many heard it, probably just our moms

Then we got serious and stated the obvious
Synthpops came next with a little more success
Rejuvenate was next but I still don’t know how come
Pop Star status never really quite happened

-=-=-

This was the first song I wrote after my little hiatus. I was in a band called Unique and I had to step down from that because life just got too busy.  We were in the process of adopting our daughters, and I just didn't have time to write music, play music or be in a band.  It was hard enough being in the worship band at church, to which I had to ease up a little on as well at the time.  Several people kept asking me when the next Midiboy album would come out, or even better yet, the first one:nine album (which I'm still working on).

So basically, I wrote this song as my getting back to it song.  I wanted to do a follow up to I'm A Popstar because it has always been (and still is) one of my most popular songs to date.  So I thought it would be fun to tell the Midiboy story in the song.  Like I'm A Popstar though, there is a bit of sarcasm that leaked out in the song.

These days, society is about being part of a class of people.  I don't REALLY want to be a Rockstar (or a Popstar).  Popstar was about getting everything you want, but finding out you have nothing . Rockstar is about wanting something, but you can't have it because you don't meet the expectations of what is needed to become what you want to be.  In the song, it shows that Midiboy did all sorts of things...released all kinds of albums, wrote all kinds of songs, even had top ten songs, but Midiboy still can't achieve what wants to achieve simply because he doesn't have a guitar, so he has to settle for second best and try to be a popstar. In a sense, it's a prequel to I'm A Popstar.

Isn't it like that in real life sometimes?  We strive to be something.  We work our hardest to get what we think we desire, but what it all comes down to is how other perceive what they think we need to do to be a success at what we desire.

This is NOT what God desires for us.  He simply desires us to do His will.  He doesn't care about what we have or what our skills are.  He will provide for us all we need to do what He needs us to do.

That is all.
Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment